Monday, September 10, 2012


Welcome back!  I am excited to get going with all we have to learn.  I will plan on updating this blog by Monday morning each week.  (I really hope to have it done on Fridays, but know I might have to give myself the weekend to do so.)  Each week the spelling words will be listed and reminders about other homework, like nightly reading, will be updated.  Please check the blog on Mondays so you can stay updated.  I have never done a blog and am still learning so be patient.  Any feedback would be appreciated. 

We will be having library every Monday, computers on Wednesday, and spelling tests are on Friday.  Reading minutes for the week are due on Friday by 11:00 p.m.  I have some great parent helpers who will keep track for me so email them the information.  How to do this is in the box below.

I still need some parent helpers.  Please let me know as soon as possible if you can help out.  I listed by class what I need.  If you don’t know what color class your child is in let me know and I’ll get you all the information you need.
Volunteers Needed:

Red Class:

Head Room Parent
Jr. Achievement

Yellow Class:

Meet the Masters (every other Wednesday from 2:05-3:05)-starts this week
Music (I would love to have it done Thursday mornings)

Also, Mr. Chen and I both have a few projects we would like done in the next few weeks.  I can send mine home with your child (it involves tracing).  His could be partially done at home and partially at school (you will probably want to use the large paper cutter at school and then you could take things home to do).  If you are interested, let me know.  We really appreciate all your help. 

Let me know if you have any questions.  I am trying to get all the necessary information to you, but I may have forgotten some things.  Please feel free to contact me if I have forgotten things-I won’t be offended.



Spelling for September 10-14:
Black
Blame
Brain
Camp
Chain
Faint
Flash
Frame
Main
Pain
Paint
Place
Rain
Rash
Said
Space
Tail
Train
Want
What

Words are on spellingcity.com
under Unit 1
if you want to practice there.

Words will also be written in their planners.
UTIPS
Homework:
I have put four tests (remember they are not real tests) online for this week.  They are review concepts your child should know from 2nd grade, that is why I did four instead of two.  Please sit with your child and work with them on the homework.  Directions below in case you lost your original note.

The tests are 2-2 reading, 2-2 math, 2-3 reading, and 2-3 math.


Keyboarding
Help:

The school has used a free internet program called Dance Mat typing.  It is not my favorite, but it is a good start.  I will continue to look for more free programs.
bbc.co.uk/schools/typing
Reading Days:

I am still trying to figure this out, because it seems to be changed every year.  


Your child needs to read 20 minutes or more to count as a day.  Please keep doing this (I know many of you are!) and I am getting help looking into ways to make this easy for you and me.  Look for more updates on this in the next few days.

 
***UTIPS HOMEWORK***

Dear Parents,

This year I am requiring my students to do their weekly homework on the computer (UTIPS site).  This will help the students to prepare for the end of year testing which will be taken on the computer.  Each week, your child will need to go on line and do a language arts and math homework assignment.  Parents, I highly encourage that you monitor how your child is doing with these assignments.  This will give you a better understanding of how your child is progressing in school and the skills that we are working on in class.  Please help them understand the format of the questions and how to answer them.  During the end of the year testing I will not be able to help them understand the process of taking the test.  I can only help them log on to the testing site.  I will receive an email (from UTIPS) that their homework was finished and what their score was.  Each assignment should only take about 10-15 minutes to complete.  I constantly emphasis with my students how work is not a race, but to take their time and double-check their work for accuracy.  The same holds true for these assignments on line.  The scores that are sent to me will show me if the students are just guessing the answers and how long it takes for them to finish the assignments.  That way I will know if they are trying their best on these assignments or rushing through them.  You may do the on line assignments as many times as you want so as to raise your score.  The website to log on is:


After getting to the website:

1.         Click on the name of the test to be taken.
2.        Jordan School District and my name should appear.
3.        Under class, select 2012-2013 class red or yellow depending on what class your students is in.
4.        Click on your child’s name.
5.        Select Login and start.
6.        After the test is taken they must click on submit (occasionally it will submit it automatically), or it will be as if the test was never taken and I will not receive their scores.  Remember, each assignment can be taken as often as they would like.  Students should try to improve their score not try to go faster on the assignment.

Each Friday, I will publish the two new assignments for the week.  Your child can go on line and do these assignments anytime up until the next Thursday night at 11:00 p.m.

I will start posting these assignments on Friday, September 7.  Please have your child do them.  I truly believe that practice makes perfect. 

If you have any questions or are not able to access this site, please email me and I will try to help you out.  Be patient with me if I don’t get back to you immediately.  I try to reply to emails daily, but like the rest of the world, sometimes other things in my life take precedence (and sometimes I need time to find the answer to your questions).

Thanks,
Brandy Rollins
brandy.rollins@jordandistrict.org



No comments:

Post a Comment