Monday, September 3, 2012

 I hope everyone is having a great off track time.  I know I have been able to clean my home, get my own kids off to school, and read.  As the students in the class know, my goal is to read all the Newbery Award winning books by the end of the year.  I have read 43 so far (four while I have been off track), but I have 47 more to go.  I hope everyone is reading as much as I am while off track.  I am also writing to remind you of the project I sent home the day we went off track-to take picture of your student around their community.  This will be used as a writing project to make a scrapbook.  Below is the original note.  Also, Mr. Chen found a great website for your children to listen to bedtime stories in Chinese-check it out.
http://www.yes-chinese.com/story/

Have a great rest of the week.  I look forward to seeing everyone next week.


Dear Parents,

In third grade, we study communities.  In order to familiarize your child about the community in which he or she lives I am going to have each student create a book about South Jordan.  To accomplish this I would like each student to have at least 8-10 pictures taken of themselves throughout their community.  Some suggested places to take pictures are:
       *Fire Station
       *Police Station
       *Library
       *A Park
       *A Grocery Store
       *A Community Gathering Place
       *A School
       *A Bank
       *A Retail Store
       *A Service Organization
       *A Healthcare Organization
       *Restaurant
       *An Auto Shop (mechanic, auto body, sales)
       *A Gas Station
       *An Ice Cream Shop (or other dessert place)
       *The Homes in your Neighborhood
      
      
Please take pictures of a variety of places around the community and not just focus on homes in the neighborhood or retail stores. 

As you take your child around the community throughout the next month just take your camera around with you and take pictures.  Please print out eight of these pictures and bring them to school by September 17.  Just put them in an envelope labeled with your child’s name.  We will be doing a writing project with these pictures by making a scrapbook of your child around their community.  If you do not have access to a camera or cannot print these pictures I will have your child draw the pictures, but I think it would be more fun for them if they had photographs.  If you can save the pictures to a flash drive or email them to me, I would love to create a power point presentation of our class around town.  Thank you for your help with this project.  I thought it might be something you would want to work on while we are off track.  In the end, we will not only be learning about the community through this activity, but combining it with writing as well.  I know it will be a fun, memorable experience for your child.

Thank you,
Brandy Rollins
brandy.rollins@jordandistrict.org


No comments:

Post a Comment